On this episode of I’d App That, we’ll talk about Apple and Google getting pushback for their car app initiatives from Ford and Toyota. Stacy reviews the Transit app and then Peter gives us his impressions of the Slacker Radio app.
Apple, Google Car Apps Get Pushback From Ford, Toyota
Apple’s CarPlay and Google’s Android Auto are facing a push back from automakers led by Ford Motor Co. and Toyota Motor.
Ford and Toyota on Wednesday said four medium-sized automakers — Mazda Motor, PSA Group, Fuji Heavy Industries and Suzuki Motor Corp. — have joined their SmartDeviceLink Consortium, which aims to develop an open-source software platform that app developers can use as an alternative to Apple’s CarPlay and Google’s Android Auto.
Apple and Google have revved up efforts to integrate their smartphone technologies with auto communications systems.
Apple’s CarPlay technology is built around its iOS software. Alphabet-owned Google unveiled an “autocentric” variant of Android N at its Google I/O developer’s conference in May. General Motors and Harman have announced plans to build Android-based infotainment systems for GM vehicles.
Read more at…
Transit is your real-time urban travel companion. Navigate your city’s public transit system with accurate real-time predictions, simple trip planning, step-by-step navigation, service disruption notifications, and departure and stop reminders… all presented in a clear, bold interface. Public transport not cooperating? Easily request an Uber, reserve a car2go, or grab the closest bike share.
10 GREAT THINGS YOU CAN DO WITH TRANSIT:
1) See real-time arrivals for nearby buses and trains instantly upon launch.
2) Watch your transit vehicle approaching on a map in real-time*
3) Compare options with powerful A to B trip plans using real-time data.
4) Launch GO for step-by-step navigation when you’re on an unfamiliar route or want to nap/read/space out.*
5) Receive departure alarms and stop notifications as well as prompts to pick up the pace in GO.*
6) Get push notifications if service disruptions will affect your commute.
7) View transit schedules and route itineraries—even when you’re offline!
8) Locate bike share stations, see the number of bikes available, pay for passes, and unlock bikes (in select cities).
9) Check ETA (and surge) for nearby Ubers, and book in two taps.
10) View availability and book cars with car2go and other local car-share services.
Slacker Radio is the best-kept secret in music, giving you get free access to highly curated music programming that you simply won’t find anywhere else—and you can customize to fit your distinct tastes. For example, we’ll fill your holidays with music on our exclusive stations, including Top Christmas Hits, Yuletide Classics, Holiday Party, County Christmas, Instrumental Christmas, Navidad Latina, Kids Christmas and many more. Plus, Slacker provides more than the power to download and listen to your favorite stations. Our patented offline mode gives subscribers dynamic personalization while listening data-free.
• Free access to the music you love
• Hundreds of interactive and hand-crafted music stations
• Exclusive hosted music shows every week
• The power to create and share your own custom music stations
• Available on mobile, web, home and car platforms
• Unique interactive news and sports programming
• On-demand access to millions of songs with subscription
• Offline playback on mobile available with subscription
If you’re still wondering why you should download this app, here’s the answer: Slacker gets you. The very fact that you’ve found us indicates that you’re looking for something different. You could have just opted for a bigger brand, but you took the time to dig deeper…and that’s why we’re perfect for each other.
You’re going to find what you’re looking for because we’re different. Like you.