HBO has released the first trailer of its upcoming period drama series Vinyl, which shows the world of the rock and roll music industry in 1970’s New York City. Because the music scene in 1970’s New York is still awash in sex and drugs, but rock ‘n’ roll is giving way to an era of punk, disco and hip-hop.
Desperately trying to navigate the changing landscape is American Century Records founder and president Richie Finestra. His passion for music and discovering talent has gone by the wayside. With American Century on the verge of being sold, a life-altering event rekindles Finestra’s professional fire. Although, it may leave his personal life in ruins.
Martin Scorsese, Mick Jagger and Terence Winter are among the creators of the hour-long drama series, which stars Bobby Cannavale (HBO’s “Boardwalk Empire”) as Finestra.
In the past almost zero cancelled shows have been brought back to life by the various streaming services. While Arrested Development on Netflix, The Mindy Project on Hulu and Community on Yahoo have returned. Some others have not.. Tonight we’re going to take a look at some of the shows that have been axed from the major networks this year and discuss whether we think they have a home on one of our favorite streaming services.
CANCELLED SHOWS ON ABC
- Of Kings and Prophets (2 episodes) – Not a chance, None of the streaming services are going to bite here.
- Blood and Oil (1 season) – This show failed to get the ratings its ABC counterparts have. It doesn’t really fit the demographic of Netflix, Hulu or Amazon, so we’re guessing this one is done.
- The Family (1 season) – Interesting concept, but after the first few episodes the show lost its edge. Not a good bet for Netflix, Hulu or Amazon.
- The Muppets (1 season) – We could see The Muppets getting a chance on a streaming service, maybe a fit for Hulu?
- The Whispers (1 season) – Not a chance.
- Wicked City (1 season) – Not a chance.
- Agent Carter (2 seasons) – This one probably doesn’t end up on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon, but could it end up on ‘The CW?”
- Galavant (2 seasons) – Not a chance.
- Nashville (4 seasons) – Nashville has kind of run its course. Not to say Netflix, Hulu or Amazon couldn’t give it some breathing room, but it seems likely Nashville is done.
- Castle (8 seasons) – Castle on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime would have been great news a few years ago. But any show that makes it eight years has done it’s job.
CANCELLED SHOWS ON CBS
- Angel from Hell (1 season) – Not a chance.
- CSI: Cyber (1 season) – CSI on Hulu maybe? We could see it being picked up there, but Netflix and Amazon are almost definitely no-gos.
- Extant (2 seasons) – Not a chance.
- Under the Dome (3 seasons) – We’d love to see Under The Dome picked up by Netflix, Hulu or Amazon, but so far there hasn’t been any word here.
- Mike & Molly (6 season) – Mike & Molly had a good run, but is definitely done.
- The Good Wife (7 seasons) – The Good Wife will be remembered as one of the better TV shows from the 2010s. Will Netflix, Hulu or Amazon renew the show though? No. Expect the seventh season of ‘The Good Wife’ on Netflix early next spring.
- Person of Interest (5 season) – Had a good run, but Person of Interest is done.
CANCELLED SHOWS ON FOX
- Grandfathered (1 season) – Hulu and FOX seem to have a great relationship, so perhaps there’s a chance for that relationship similar to ‘The Mindy Project.’ But Mindy had a few seasons, Grandfathered probably doesn’t get that same privilege.
- The Grinder (1 season) – See above.
- Bordertown (1 season) – Not a chance.
- Minority Report (1 season) – Not a chance.
- Second Chance (1 season) – Second chance? Not a chance.
- Knock Knock Live (1 season) – Not a chance.
- Cooper Barrett’s Guide to Surviving Life (1 season) – Not a chance.
- American Idol (15 seasons) – 15 seasons and countless memories. American Idol won’t be on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon as originals anytime soon.
CANCELLED SHOWS ON NBC
- Heroes Reborn (1 season) – Heroes Reborn is done, just like the original which lost its way.
- The Player (1 season) – Classic NBC drama, but we won’t be seeing this on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon as a new series anytime soon.
- You, Me, and the Apocalypse (1 season) – Not a bad idea, and good for a few laughs, but this show is toast.
- Truth Be Told (1 season) – Nope.
- Best Time Ever with Neil Patrick Harris (1 season) – Could work on Hulu maybe, but probably too low of ratings to get a streaming renewal.
- Mr. Robinson (1 season) – Nope.
- Telenovela (1 season) – This show actually felt underrated, but who are we. Probably not enough viewers to justify a renewal.
- Heartbeat (1 season) – Nope
- Crowded (1 season) – Nope.
- Game of Silence (1 season) – Nope.
- The Mysteries of Laura (2 seasons) – This one we could see getting a shot on Hulu or Netflix maybe, but doesn’t seem likely with its viewership numbers.
- Undateable (3 seasons) – We’d love to see this one get another run, but after three seasons the show might just not have anything left for a renewal.
Connect with our hosts and guests |Shawn Burns| Jeannie Szarama| Donna Hume|
#StreamingGeeks #Vinyl #CancelledShows